Play Arts Kai Lightning Returns FF13: Lightning Review

Hi Pandudes and Pandudettes!

It’s me, Panda Jekoi! And I am excited to share my collection with you guys. I’m still starting with this hobby though; I have a handful of figures to show and to review, yes! You’ve read that right. This is my first review “slash” blog so… be nice on the comment section…please J

Since this is my “first” I’ll be reviewing one of my favorites so far, the Play Arts Kai Lightning Returns; Lightning figure by Square Enix. SE is the developer of the video game with the same name.


All of my figures are PAK, and I’m not planning to get other lines for now.

Just a short introduction, PAK line focuses more on the details of the figure but with butt-load articulation which majority of the hobbyists look in figures. The line is not perfect (like small quality issues) but it gives a bang for your buck. Speaking of buck, unlike NECA that will cost you around 1000-1500 pesos, PAK triple the price of NECA figures.

Let’s start!

I got mine from Datablitz, a local Game Shop and Toy Store here in Cebu (SM City, Ayala Center) most of the time I pre-order figures that I want and it usually takes 3 weeks to a month depending on the actual release of the figure in Japan.


Here’s the box



The box is a flip-window, so if you’re into MISB (Mint Inside Sealed Box) type of a collector you’ll going to love the packaging.


On the flip cover has the bio of the character with a cool pose of the actual figure. One of the things that I like with PAK is the art work on each window of the figures. (Shown Above)



Majority of the new PAKs now includes a clear stand which requires assembly. You’ll get a kit which includes washers, a plastic wrench type tool etc. As for me, I don’t use the stands, since I don’t’ like the packaging to get ripped. Instructions on how to remove some parts of the figure are printed on the cardboard.

WHAT'S INSIDE



Below are the things that you will get.

  • PAK Lightning Figure
  • Crimson Blade
  • Shield
  • Pair of relax hands
  • Pair of closed-fist hands
  • 1x right sword welding hand

THE FIGURE



The figure stands 9 inches, with 26 points of articulation (joints)

Lightning is the only character that they’ve made for LRFF13 PAK.

This is the 3rd rendition of Lightning for PAK. My first figure was also a Lightning, FF13 version. There’s another version of Lightning PAK and it’s from FF13-2 but that figure is really rare, the cheapest that I saw from www.olx.com.ph costs around 7 thousand pesos. 


THE SCULPT



I really like the way they presented the face of Lightning in this figure. The paint job is top notched, no bleeding and hard shading.

ARTICULATION

The head is on a ball joint, so you can move the head 360 degrees, up and down. The hair and the collar is made of a soft plastic (resembles a rubber), so it won’t hinder any head articulation.


The shoulder pads are molded on the arms, it has a butterfly shoulder joints, double jointed elbows and wrists.


This pose was made possible by the butterfly joints, unique with PAK.

The chest and torso are two separate parts. The chest (including the armor piece) is made out of rubber. The torso (skin) is made of PVC. These parts are connected on a T-joint.



The legs are connected on a ball joint. The knee is double jointed (personally, I don’t like the design of the knee on this figure) and the ankles is on ball joint.



Lightning, although showing some skin, wears a long flowing garment. This is made of a rubber material which allows you to move, twist etc. when you’re posing the figure, without worrying that it will break. I was hoping that it will have a wire in it, but what can you do?


(Above) Peg for the sword

(Below) Hole on the sword where to insert the peg


Short cape


(Below) The shield. This one is my favorite accessory from the set. The details are awesome.



 Wrist peg for this figure is large and stout, so no breaking worries (but I still suggest handling the figure with care)




THE VERDICT



I'll be bias on this :) PAK Lightning Returns Final Fantasy 13: Lightning delivers all good qualities that you are looking for a figure, and it’s an easy 10 for me.

For those people that are still starting with their action figure collection, you can never go wrong with Square Enix Play Arts Kai.

Until the next review/blog!

Keep collecting!


PANDA JEKOI

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first blog post Panda Jekoi! Looking forward to the next one. Kanang sa Colon or E-Mall pa akoang ma-afford.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.